close
close

Boy brings knife to school and threatens to kill classmates


By Padraig Collins For Daily Mail Australia

15:49 16 May 2024, updated 16:17 16 May 2024



A primary school was plunged into an emergency lockdown after a seven-year-old boy reportedly brought a knife to class and allegedly threatened to kill classmates.

The terrifying incident happened at Mount Gambier North Primary School, 435km south-east of Adelaide, on Monday.

A shocked parent claimed that the boy, who has a history of behavioural issues, brought a ‘kitchen block carving knife’ to class.

She told the Advertiser that the boy hit her daughter and threatened to kill other pupils. 

Teachers launched an immediate ‘invacuation’ as soon as they realised the boy had a knife in his bag.

Police were called to the school to speak to the boy, who was then suspended. 

Mount Gambier North Primary School (pictured) was sent into an emergency lockdown after a seven-year-old boy reportedly brought a knife to class and threatened classmates

Click here to resize this module

‘The bag was confiscated, and as a result the student became upset and behaved inappropriately,’ an education department spokesperson said.

‘The student’s family and police were contacted. As a consequence of this behaviour, the student has been suspended.’

School principal Sam Griffiths also addressed the incident in an email to parents.

‘The immediate response from the school was an invacuation (lockdown) to ensure the safety of our students and staff,’ she wrote.

‘Our wellbeing team have checked in on all the students. 

The parent said her daughter was ‘struck by the boy with his fist out of anger’ and that she and other parents she has spoken to ‘don’t feel like our children are OK.’

She also claimed that a teacher had taken a week off due to stress over the incident.

The mother said the school had not revealed how it plans to help pupils’ emotional and physical wellbeing after the incident, but instead is ‘working on how and what it looks like for the bully student to return (to school).’ 

The school’s principal Sam Griffiths sent an email (pictured) to parents about the incident

The education department confirmed there had been a ‘significant number of behavioural incidents this year at the school involving this student’.

A safety plan will be put in place to ‘best meet the needs of the student … as well as ensuring the safety of the wider school community’.

‘The school continues to work closely with parents to best meet the needs of the individual student, and support their learning and wellbeing, as well as ensuring the safety of the wider school community,’ a spokesperson said.

The latest knife-related incident at a school followed Chifley College in Sydney’s west being put into lockdown on May 9, when a student arrived on campus armed with a knife.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *